Hurlburt Field   Right Corner Banner
Join the Air Force

News > Tax season is here, Tax Center is here to help
Tax season is here, Tax Center is here to help

Posted 1/14/2011   Updated 1/14/2011 Email story   Print story


by Tech. Sgt. Stacy Fowler
1st Special Operations Wing Public Affairs

1/14/2011 - HURLBURT FIELD, Fla. -- Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ? Form 11-C, "Notice Concerning Fiduciary Relationship," Form 9...

It's time to get your calculator, some sharp pencils, W-2s, W-4s, R2-D2 and every shred of paper that could help you save a little money as Uncle Sam sends out the call for tax returns.

Many view the tax season as a hair-pulling, number-crunching, ready-to-throw-up-the-hands time of year; and there are many first-time filers, veteran filers and new families who might look at taxes with confusion and dread.

If you visit the Internal Revenue Service's website, there are more than 1,100 different forms for federal taxes...and most have confusing phrases scattered throughout, like "ordinary dividends," "qualified dividends," "capital gain or (loss)," "attach Schedule D if required," and "taxable refunds, credits, or offsets of state and local income taxes."

For those who have never done taxes before or for long-time veterans who just can't do another year by themselves, Hurlburt Field has a free tax center manned by trained volunteers from units around base who can help you up, over and around the phrases and tax terms so that you can get the most back for your 2010 tax bucks.

"We provide tax services to active-duty military, dependents, retirees and Department of Defense and Non-Appropriated Fund civilians," said Wayne Smith, Hurlburt Field Tax Center manager. "The service we provide is free, and will save the filer their tax dollars for their use, and not for preparation fees charged by a paid preparer."

The volunteers at the tax center can do the basic tax forms of 1040EZ, 1040 and 1040A, as well as rental property taxes, certain Schedule C business taxes and more. They will also e-file state taxes for states that are in agreement the Taxwise/IRS e-file system. This should speed up the return time for state tax returns processed through the center.

"If you have questions about what we can do, call us or come in and ask," Mr. Smith said. "Also, if you want us to file your taxes, bring in any paperwork from banks, employers or anything you think might get you more deductions. The more you bring with you to your appointment, the less likely it will be that you will have to leave and come back later to finish filing."

From Jan. 18-28, 2011, the tax center will be open for 1040EZ walk-ins from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. From Jan. 31-Apr. 18, 2011, the tax center will be open for scheduled appointments on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Tuesdays from noon to 8 p.m. The tax center is also open Wednesdays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. for walk-ins and spouses of deployed members.

If you have tax questions or would like to make an appointment, call the tax center at 884-7542.

1/26/2011 11:39:17 AM ET
Just wanted to say thank you to all the volunteers that help every year with our taxes. They are always very helpful and do such a wonderful job. And a special thanks to Mr. Wayne Smith and Alan for spending almost two hours taking care of us. We need to make sure that all these volunteers are shown appreciation for the time they spend helping our troops and their families
TSgt Tyson and May Eager, Fort Walton Beach FL
Add a comment

 Inside Hurlburt

ima cornerSearch

Site Map      Contact Us     Questions     Security and Privacy notice     E-publishing  
Suicide Prevention    SAPR   IG   EEO   Accessibility/Section 508   No FEAR Act